Environmental Services Technician
Job no: 494708
Location: Moon Campus
Position Department: Facilities Environmental Services
Position Type: Staff Full-Time
The position performs manual work in the custodial care of all university buildings and facilities, including residence halls. Work is performed under the general supervision of the Facilities Specialist II and/or Assistant Directors. Coverage is 24/7 – 365 days/year and overtime may be necessary to accomplish work assignments and/or shift coverage. Vacations (PTO) approval may be limited during peak activity periods. This position may be required to work as scheduled during university closings.
- Sweep, mop and scrub floors, stairs, and other surfaces inside and outside of all buildings.
- Scrub, strip, wax and polish floors using heavy industrial type floor machines.
- Vacuum carpets in offices, classrooms, halls, and public areas. Shampoo carpets periodically using heavy extraction machines, and other carpet shampooing machines.
- Clean and dust furniture, exhibit cases, pictures, door trim and whiteboards using the recommended cleaning supplies.
- Clean, disinfect and service lavatories, rest rooms, showers, and locker rooms.
- Wash window sills, interior and exterior windows, glass in corridor doors, and wash glass and trim in entrance doors and vestibules.
- Wash and/or clean interior wall spaces by hand or with powered wall washing machine; remove, wash, replace and adjust Venetian blinds and curtains; vacuum and wash ceiling lights and HVAC fixtures; work on ladders or as required.
- Move furniture and complete set-ups and tear-downs for University functions and outside rental groups.
- Clean and service cigarette urns, ashtrays and surrounding areas of exterior entrances and buildings.
- Collect and replace containers with trash liners and take trash to designated area for pick up or take to specific trash location.
- Replace liners in wastebaskets, trash containers and recycle containers.
- Move and assemble heavy furniture, supplies and miscellaneous equipment, as directed.
- Adjust, clean and maintain all vacuums, scrubbers, carpet machines, walk behinds, kiavacs and any other operating equipment in any work areas. Able to adjust, change brushes, pads, rollers, belts and other attachments.
- Report items that need repair using the proper work order request (doors, lights, furniture, faucets, etc.) that may be noticed while performing duties. Call operations center for issues that need immediate attention.
- Make the initial attempt to unclog toilets, sinks, bathtubs, and showers.
- Put recommended drain conditioner or odor control in all sinks, toilets, shower and floor drains on a routine schedule.
- Remove snow, using manual tools, from building steps, entrances, and other areas not easily accessed by motorized vehicles. This includes spreading anti-skid material and hand shoveling the entrances, steps and walkways as needed or requested around all buildings as directed.
- Receive and unload delivery trucks.
- Maintain an acceptable attendance record, punctuality and meeting deadlines, participate in training sessions and seminars.
- Maintain a functional awareness of typical hazards of the workplace as well as special hazards that may be encountered; follow established procedures for dealing with such potential hazards, promptly reporting all accidents or injuries to supervisor and filling out the proper paperwork for the University.
- Responsible for adhering to all University and departmental policies, procedures, and safety regulations.
- Will need to drive on behalf of the University.
- All other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED is required.
- Two years of experience in an applied trade preferred.
- Must have the ability to receive work orders and follow orders verbally or in writing.
- Must have the ability to work without direct supervision.
- Must have the ability to work well with co-workers.
- Must be able to work outside in all types of weather conditions, in unpleasant areas.
- Must be able to clean spills of various substances such as body fluids or chemical substances.
- Ability to bend, stoop, lift, climb ladders, remain standing and walking for long periods of time, ability to lift 50 pounds.
- Must be able to maintain an acceptable record of attendance, punctuality and meeting deadlines. Must be able to work any shift, at any campus location.
- Must be able to work overtime, limit PTO (paid time off) during peak activity periods and work as scheduled during University closings when needed.
- Must adhere to all University and departmental policies, procedures, and safety regulations.
- Valid driver’s license is required or reliable transportation to travel on behalf of the University.
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Act 153 Clearance Required: Yes
Required To Pass a Motor Vehicle Report Check (If driving on behalf of the University): Yes
Required to Pass a Credit Check: No
Additional Posting Information: None
Special Applicant Instructions: None
Commitment to Diversity:
Robert Morris University is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, RMU complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or call us at (412) 397-6270 if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend