Athletic Equipment Manager
Job no: 494914
Location: Moon Campus
Position Department: Athletics Administration
Position Type: Staff Full-Time
Responsible for developing, planning and organizing programs for maintaining and purchasing athletic equipment for all University athletic teams. Prepares and monitors athletic equipment budgets. Assists coaches in purchasing equipment from vendors, maintains athletic equipment, including repair and upkeep, and must possess ability to determine any equipment breakdowns. Maintains inventory and establishes measures for meeting standards for safety and appearance of equipment.
- Assists coaches in ordering equipment and clothing for student-athletes.
- Keeps a complete inventory of all athletic equipment and clothing issued to all personnel and student-athletes.
- Maintains and cleans equipment and equipment room daily.
- Constantly alert for any equipment breakdowns.
- Supervises student managers and directs them in proper use of laundry facilities, team set up and proper conduct.
- Consults with head Athletic Trainer and staff concerning any special needs for student-athletes.
- Observes players wearing equipment for proper attire, safety, and appearance.
- Maintains condition of equipment and clothing through reconditioning.
- Consults daily with head coaches and Deputy Director of Athletics, Chief Operating Officer concerning any equipment problems.
- Possesses knowledge of inventory control principles and methods; applicable safety requirements; and policies, procedures and guidelines established by professional organizations and/or governing agencies.
- Demonstrates strong organizational skills and an ability to prioritize and complete simultaneous projects with minimal supervision.
- Has ability to develop and implement policies, procedures, goals and objectives as well as ability and willingness to assume new responsibilities. Also has ability to take initiative to plan, organize, coordinated and perform work in various situations when numerous and diverse demands are involved.
- Interacts in a professional manner with a diverse group of staff, faculty, students and the community in a service-oriented environment.
- Manages a budget and works within constraints of that budget.
- Must possess ability to work evenings, weekends and holidays in accordance with athletic team season schedules.
- Collaborates with coaches to prepare athletic equipment budget proposals.
- Purchases all athletic equipment and apparel according to university policies. Processes all invoices and receipts to ensure timely payment and monitors equipment budgets.
- Implements an inventory control system to ensure accurate recording of all purchases, repairs, maintenance and disposal of athletic equipment and apparel.
- Recruits, hires, trains and manages a part time OPS staff to assist in carrying out goals and objectives for equipment operations
- Monitors the issuance of uniforms, both home and away, to teams, coaches and individual student-athletes. Maintains accurate records of uniform and apparel issuance.
- Monitors daily maintenance of equipment, which includes laundry and repair of uniforms and general upkeep of equipment. Arranges for repairs as necessary.
- Manages daily operations of equipment rooms and storage facilities ensuring each is operated in a clean, efficient and effective manner.
- Oversees laundry operations, ensuring team laundry is done daily to the correct specifications and health standards on a daily basis.
- Serves as the liaison with apparel, footwear and equipment providers. Ensures team apparel and equipment are appropriately printed prior to distribution.
- Assists with fitting individual student-athletes and management of team size charts.
- Ensures locker rooms and benches are prepared and set up to appropriate standards for all home athletic events. Coordinates preventative maintenance and cleaning for all locker rooms.
- Prepares team equipment travel bags and uniforms for road trips.
- Collaborates with the compliance office to ensure equipment operations are in compliance with NCAA and all conference guidelines. Adheres to proper recordkeeping and documentation for all equipment operations.
- Assists in the development, implementation and evaluation of policies and procedures for the facilities and operations area within athletics.
- Seeks opportunities for professional development and best practices within the area of sports programs facilities and operations.
- Assists, coordinates and completes special projects as assigned by the Deputy Director of Athletics, Chief Operating Officer.
- Ensures Environmental Health and Safety and OSHA safety practices are implemented, followed and documented.
- Ensures a regular daily schedule for student-athletes to initiate equipment issues or needs.
- Attends meetings, activities and evens which may require working evenings and weekends to travel with teams as necessary.
- Assists with game operations and other events as needed.
- Adheres to all financial and purchasing policies and procedures implemented by athletic department and Robert Morris University
- Establishes and maintains a computerized inventory of athletic apparel and equipment.
- As assigned, meets with sales representatives regarding new and existing products ensuring that the needs of the student-athletes, coaches and other athletic department personnel are met.
- Develops and maintains positive communications and effective working relationships with coaches, student-athletes and other personnel.
- Possesses knowledge of sports equipment and equipment safety, procurement practices and principles, inventory control and maintenance.
- Experience working with football equipment at NCAA level or higher.
- Work in conjunction with the Athletic Business Office to procure items in accordance with University purchasing policies and procedures and department vendor contracts; organize and administer the transportation of equipment for all away football contests.
- Sets up athletic-related events including games and practices.
- Ensures that all equipment and clothing is issued and signed for.
- Abides by all NCAA, Conference, and University regulations, policies and procedures. Reports any known or suspected NCAA violations to the Director of Athletics, Assistant Director of Athletics for Compliance or the Faculty Athletics Representative. Violation of NCAA regulations shall be subject to disciplinary or corrective action up to, and including, termination of employment.
- Other duties as assigned by the Director of Athletics.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Bachelors degree preferred.
- Minimum three years experience managing equipment and uniforms preferred.
- Strong organizational skills.
- Effective communication skills.
- Ability to drive or have reliable transportation to travel on behalf of the University.
- Ability to responsibly manage a budget.
- Valid driver’s license or reliable transportation to travel on behalf of the University is required.
Act 153 Clearance Required: Yes
Required To Pass a Motor Vehicle Report Check (If driving on behalf of the University): Yes
Required to Pass a Credit Check: Yes
Additional Posting Information: None
Special Applicant Instructions: None
Commitment to Diversity:
Robert Morris University is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, RMU complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or call us at (412) 397-6270 if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend