Chief of Police
Job no: 495197
Location: Moon Campus
Position Department: University Police
Position Type: Staff Full-Time
The Chief of Police is responsible for the security and safety programs of Robert Morris University, the University parking program and the supervision and direction Police Officers and Public Safety personnel. The Chief is charged with enforcing rules and regulations of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania as well as the rules and regulations of the University. The Chief provides the University community with an effective, well trained, proactive campus safety and security department, which operates 24/7
- Direct, monitor, and enforce the rules of the institution and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to protect the security and safety of all constituents.
- Formulate, evaluate, and implement policies to cover issues such as campus and building accessibility, parking, keying, lighting, and crime prevention.
- Develop and conduct programs to heighten the awareness of the University community regarding personal security and sound security practices.
- Responsible for hiring, coaching, development and reviewing performance of Police and Public Safety Officers. Train individuals that are considered Campus Security Authority (CSA) personnel.
- Ensure compliance with all statistical record-keeping and reporting duties to include U.C.R. and CLERY annual security report.
- Administer the SPFPA union contract.
- Direct and/or participate in incident investigations including criminal, student conduct, and Title IX matters.
- Serve on the University Safety Committee. Participate in meetings, and communicate issues to the appropriate University individuals and/or insurance brokers.
- Develop and administer department policies relating to Police and Public Safety Officers.
- Work closely with the departments of Student Life, Title IX, Human Resources, and Facilities to resolve student and employee incident as well as issues of physical safety.
- Develop and administer departmental budget.
- Maintain a Policy and Procedure manual for the University Police Department.
- Work closely with local municipalities to ensure a positive relationship.
- Maintain all security and safety equipment such as police vehicles, weapons, alarm system, and camera recording system.
- Conduct regular inspections of buildings and grounds to identify and correct safety hazards and make recommendations for repairs and modifications where appropriate.
- Demonstrate a commitment to diversity and inclusions at all time.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in criminal justice, police administration, public administration or a related field is preferred.
- 10 years of progressive law enforcement experience with at least 5 years in a command or executive level position.
- Previous law enforcement experience, ideally in a campus setting.
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations and standards.
- Must be detail oriented and organized.
- Must possess excellent communications and interpersonal skills with ability to work effectively with students, staff, faculty and the general public.
- Must be able to motivate and lead an active campus safety and security department and supervise police personnel.
- Must be able to write effective reports and conduct investigations.
- Must be able to work at anytime, day or night, to achieve University objectives and be able to react quickly and calmly in emergency situations.
- Knowledge of standard first aid techniques.
- Ability to be available by phone or email after typical business hours.
- Ability to drive or have reliable transportation to travel on behalf of the University.
- This position requires a successful background screening including degree verification,credit check and a full comprehensive background check.
- Certification under Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Act 120 (Municipal Police Officers Education Training Commission).
- Valid Pennsylvania Driver’s License.
Act 153 Clearance Required: Yes
Required To Pass a Motor Vehicle Report Check (If driving on behalf of the University): Yes
Required to Pass a Credit Check: Yes
Additional Posting Information: None
Special Applicant Instructions: None
Commitment to Diversity:
Robert Morris University is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, RMU complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (412) 397-6270 if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend