Student Media Advisor, Sentry Media and Colonial Sports Network
Job no: 495614
Location: Moon Campus
Position Department: Academic Media Center
Position Type: Staff Part-Time
Robert Morris University seeks an outstanding individual to serve as media advisor to Sentry Media and the Colonial Sports Network, the university’s award-winning independent student-run converged media outlets. The Student Media Advisor is primarily responsible for preparing students for diverse professional fields including broadcast radio and television; print or magazine journalism; or as social media content creators, editors and managers. The advisor serves as the technical trainer and mentor to student managers, editors, and journalists in news, sports, and arts and entertainment. The advisor also assists with content development and delivery across diverse web and broadcast platforms. The advisor works with faculty and students to manage content standards, ethical practice, recruitment, and community engagement. This is a Part-time, non-benefit eligible position limited to no more than 950 hours in a calendar year.
- Mentor all students (work-study and volunteer) in Sentry Media and CSN, with particular attention to generating an inclusive experiential learning environment and self-sustaining student community. The advisor provides training and support for personnel recruitment, story development, layout, photography, audio and video production, web distribution, intellectual property, and the maintenance of both ethical and professional standards.
- Coordinate students, faculty and staff to plan and implement the annual August Sentry Media Retreat for new and returning students. This includes onboarding new students, training student leaders, as well as a student-run immersion experience in new programs, facilities, policies, and workflows.
- Represent Sentry Media on the School of Informatics, Humanities and Social Sciences Converged Media Committee; serve as staff advisor the the RMU chapter of the Society of Collegiate Journalists (SCJ); and represent RMU to the College Media Association (CMA).
- Assist the Director of the AMC and designated faculty with the selection and submission of student work for school, regional, and national awards consideration. Accompany student nominees to awards events as required and as resources permit. Present the Sentry Media student leadership and service awards at the annual SIHSS Awards Ceremony.
- Work with the Academic Media Center (AMC) Director and AMC Production Coordinator to supervise student productions for RMU-TV and/or RMU- Radio: e.g. 'RMU Live' - the university’s award-winning student-produced news program or the 'RMU Focus' TV news magazine. The advisor is also the principal guide for Sentry Media’s extensive local, state and national election coverage - across all platforms. Support and mentor other student, staff, or faculty-proposed programing as directed.
- Assist the AMC Production Coordinator in the oversight of work-study students, graduate assistants, interns, scholarship-recipients, and other student workers participating in Sentry Media or funded by the Sentry Media cost center. Contribute to AMC planning to ensure that student compensation remains in budget.
- Develop and track experiential learning outcomes for Sentry Media students and assist student leaders in assessment of performance. Provide documentation and support for engaged learning through the Student Engagement Transcript (SET).
- Coordinate with students, faculty, and staff stakeholders to develop print, video, and web marketing strategies. Identify and serve new student populations, and engage a wider community audience on and off-campus.
- Develop new or further ongoing external relationships that lead to the placement of student interns in engaged learning opportunities.
- Assist in institutional recruitment, including tours of Sentry Media and the AMC for prospective students and families.
- Assist in administering departmental information technology (IT) needs including content creation, hosting, storage and network management, between the newsroom, TV and Radio studio/control, and the Sentry Media/Colonial Sports Network websites.
- All other duties as assigned.
- B.A or B.S. in Journalism or related field required; M.A. preferred, Other candidates with exceptional industry experience may also be considered.
- Professional journalism experience is required.
- *Experience in web-distributed content is preferred.
- *At least one year of experience working with student media in an advisory role is preferred, along with familiarity with best practices for inclusive experiential learning in media.
- A working knowledge of news production systems is required. Familiarity with AP ENPS preferred.
- Demonstrated expertise in media technology and insight into converged media platforms required. Competency with and maintained currency with media content creation software applications preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to support and supplement an academic curriculum through professional development and community-building with students.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills required.
- A flexible schedule congruent to the needs of Sentry Media. Must be able to work some evenings and weekends, including (but not limited to) coverage of local and national elections, athletics events, and breaking news.
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Act 153 Clearance Required: No
Required To Pass a Motor Vehicle Report Check (If driving on behalf of the University): No
Required to Pass a Credit Check: No
Additional Posting Information: None
Special Applicant Instructions: None
Commitment to Diversity:
Robert Morris University is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, RMU complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (412) 397-6270 if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend