Senior Category Manager
Job no: 495670
Location: Moon Campus
Position Department: Facilities Strategic Sourcing and Operations
Position Type: Staff Full-Time
The Senior Category Manager is responsible for creating and driving strategic sourcing. The incumbent acts as strategic partner interfacing at the executive level. Provides leadership in category spend strategy/plans, strategic sourcing and other procurement processes such as supplier relationship management, spend performance management, compliance management, internal spend analysis and recommendations, and category oversight. Collaborates with key stakeholders on sourcing events as well as development of and implementation of annual and multi-year category strategies in order to achieve category goals and procurement strategies. This position has significant contributions to financial and enterprise risk mitigation responsibilities. Reports to the Senior Director, Strategic Sourcing and Facilities Operations.
- Lead and implement strategic sourcing strategies for assigned categories of spend, manage the development of RFx materials, detailed analysis of proposals and vendor capabilities, negotiations and supplier/contractor selection.
- Plan, schedule, support and monitor category sourcing initiatives, ensuring deliverables of the project. Collaborates directly with members of the third party risk team. Works in tandem with the Senior Manager of Purchasing. Provides reports on spend management from the university sourcing system.
- Leverage key metrics to identify problem areas and adopt current and emerging business recommendations with an enterprise mindset demonstrating creativity to drive best practice.
- Strategically partner with business unit leaders and contribute to strategic sourcing strategies by providing procurement expertise and strategic partnering for purchasing responsibilities.
- Advise internal business unit leaders regarding purchasing processes and policies, technology capabilities for sourcing and provide guidance through the contract process. Ensures compliance.
- Build and manage relationships with university key stakeholders.. Serve as a lead member of the third party risk committee. Functional knowledge of data security and ability to act as the liaison with internal and external parties.
- Demonstrate a strategic business mindset with ability to present to executives, and balanced multiple stakeholder interests simultaneously.
- Under the direction of the Senior Director, Strategic Sourcing, and with the input of the Senior Manager of Purchasing, creates and drives long-term category strategies designed to support enterprise-wide requirements and achieve the procurement life-ycle.
- Monitor strategic implementations on-going performance and ensure issues are elevated to the appropriate level.
- Conduct category spend analyses and reporting, supplier satisfaction, and conduct research as appropriate to provide recommendations.
- Perform ethical procurement practices which includes compliance with both university and department policies.
- Lead the development and negotiations of contracts with new suppliers and/or renegotiate existing contracts to accomplish department and organizational goals. Proactively review expiring contracts, opportunities for consolidation and/or savings. Summarizes and provides recommendations to executives and/or business units. Expertise in identifying potential procurement opportunities through data analysis, category mining, and industry knowledge, active discussions with business units for future planning.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelors in Business Supply Management or related field required.
- 5+ years experience in a procurement role.
- Advanced experience in procurement contract negotiations, competitive price analysis, procurement technology and related processes, contract management and spend analysis.
- Project planning, presentation and management experience.
- Prior experience with process redesign, managing diverse stakeholder interests and outcomes.
- 3 years strategic sourcing experience in higher education preferred.
- Proficiency in sourcing systems, ERP system, and knowledge of contract systems.
- Ability to conduct strategic sourcing events independently providing recommendations to the SD and stakeholders.
- Ability to conduct negotiations and development/review of agreements.
- Ability to handle sensitive and confidential information.
- Requires a self-starter and ability to make independent judgments.
- Ethical, detail oriented and excellent customer service skills.
- Presentation skills and professional verbal/written communication.
- Logic and reasoning skills.
- Independent judgment with a high degree of discretion and integrity.
- Attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to handle stressful situations with professional composure.
- Ability to collect, analyse, and interpret statistical data.
- Ability to think creatively and drive organizational change.
- Ability to be available outside of typical business hours from time to time.
- Strong project management skills.
- Relevant certification preferred.
Act 153 Clearance Required: No
Required To Pass a Motor Vehicle Report Check (If driving on behalf of the University): Yes
Required to Pass a Credit Check: Yes
Additional Posting Information: None
Special Applicant Instructions: None
Commitment to Diversity:
Robert Morris University is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, RMU complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or call us at (412) 397-6270 if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend