Athletics Academic Specialist
Job no: 497311
Location: Moon Campus
Position Department: Athletics Administration
Position Type: Staff Full-Time
The Athletics Academic Specialist will collaborate with the Assistant Athletic Director for Student Services to provide comprehensive academic support services and eligibility support for the department of athletics. Responsible for managing the eligibility certification process for new, transfer and returning student-athletes. Assists assigned student-athletes in achieving personal educational goals by providing academic counseling, support and monitoring services through degree completion. Serves as a liaison between student-athletes, coaches, faculty, academic departments and student services personnel to facilitate an environment that fosters and supports academic excellence, retention and timely graduation for student-athletes. Partners with the athletics compliance office to coordinate the arrival and certification of new student-athletes.
- Monitors and facilitates athletic academic support services under the direction of the Assistant Athletics Director for Student Services, including providing managerial oversight of matters related to the academic status for student-athletes in compliance with University, various Conferences and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Provides individualized on-going student-athlete academic counseling and monitoring as it pertains to NCAA eligibility and graduation requirements, as well as individual interests and needs.
- Collaborates with the Assistant Athletic Director for Student Services and academic departments to assess course performance, as well as monitor and evaluate each student-athlete’s academic standing and progress towards degree completion; monitor midterm and final grades, grade point averages, completion of university core academic requirements, and degree programs.
- Maintains accurate lists of high-risk student-athletes and reports academic progress to coaches.
- Provides initial review of all transfer evaluations to assist registrar team in making a final eligibility determination.
- Assists student-athletes with class registration by monitoring course offerings, class schedules, and special athletic needs including travel, competition schedules, and practice times.
- Coordinates with individual college academic advisors to assist student-athletes completion of university degree programs and requirements.
- Maintains accurate academic records, monitor class attendance, and provide data/periodic progress reports for assigned student-athletes, as requested.
- Participates in on-campus recruiting activities and assist coaches by sharing academic information and meeting with prospective student-athletes and families during campus visits.
- Coordinates student-athlete’s academic nominations and honor recognitions.
- Coordinates and collaborates with Center for Student Success to provide holistic support for student-athletes.
- Operates comprehensive student-athlete study hall program and manages staff of tutors and study hall monitors.
- Facilitates athletics book scholarship program, ensuring distribution of text books for student-athletes receiving book scholarships.
- Reviews all student-athlete class opportunities prior to scheduling and identifies possible practice times for seventeen (17) sports, based on class times.
- Prepares travel letters for all sports, providing faculty with documentation regarding requested athletically related absences due to travel.
- Facilitates inquiries from student-athletes regarding financial accounts and registration holds, assists with health insurance documentation requirements and all other account issues.
- Provides midterm and final grade reports to coaches and calculates department grade point average.
- Assists student-athletes with registration each semester.
- Facilitates all add/drops and course withdrawals for student-athletes, ensuring that eligibility and full-time status is maintained at all times.
- Meets regularly with student-athletes and coaches to address academic questions and concerns, discusses academic progress of student-athletes with instructors and communicates feedback to coaches.
- Assists the Assistant Athletic Director for Student Services and the Assistant Athletics Director for Student-Athlete Development with student-athlete development initiatives, as assigned.
- Serves as Game Management Administrator for selected events.
- Must occasionally be available by phone and email after typical business hours.
- All other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; master’s degree preferred
- Minimum two years of experience in collegiate athletics experience (experience as an intern or graduate assistant shall count towards this requirement)
- Experience in academic advising, preferably with student-athletes in a higher education environment
- Knowledge of college student development theory and academic advising
- Demonstrated knowledge of NCAA Initial and Continuing Eligibility requirements in Division I athletic programs
- Master's degree in a related field from an accredited institution
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills with a high energy level.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work collaboratively with diverse student populations and university personnel (e.g. faculty, coaches, and staff).
- Ability to work independently and maintain confidentiality.
- Detail-oriented with strong organizational and public speaking skills.
- Customer-service oriented and student focused with the ability to work with diverse populations.
- Ability to stay abreast of, interpret and adhere to FERPA, RMU policies, NCAA rules and regulations; familiarity with/knowledge of Division I athletics.
- A staff member is expected to abide by all of the rules and regulations of the University, the NCAA and respective conferences. Staff members found in violation of NCAA regulations shall be subject to disciplinary or corrective action as set forth in the provisions of the NCAA enforcement procedures. In addition, one must immediately report any suspected or known violations to the RMU athletics compliance office. A staff member may be suspended for a period of time, without pay, or the staff member’s employment may be terminated if he/she is found to be involved in deliberate and serious violations of NCAA regulations.
- Valid driver's license or the ability to have reliable transportation to travel on behalf of the University is required.
Act 153 Clearance Required: Yes
Required To Pass a Motor Vehicle Report Check (If driving on behalf of the University): Yes
Required to Pass a Credit Check: Yes
Additional Posting Information: None
Special Applicant Instructions: None
Commitment to Diversity:
Robert Morris University is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, RMU complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (412) 397-6270 if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend