Grounds and Athletic Fields Supervisor
Job no: 497840
Location: Moon Campus
Position Department: Facilities Grounds
Position Type: Staff Full-Time
The Grounds and Athletic Fields Supervisor serves as the primary coordinator of maintenance for the campus grounds athletic fields, tree service maintenance, grounds pest management, hardscape maintenance, and site amenities and gathering space. Will also be a resource to all other Grounds, Maintenance, and Operations areas of work. Position will serve as the primary individual for all athletic turf maintenance. Provides direction and oversees grounds employees on a day to day basis. Using expertise to assess field and weather conditions and provide high quality playing surfaces. Coordinate directly with both coaches and athletic staff regarding game field schedules and practices. Responsible for equipment maintenance schedules, assisting in developing standards for field maintenance and recommending best practices for a Division I Field program. Supervises winter operations during inclement weather.
- Responsible for maintenance of athletic fields and coordinating information received from the athletic department related to practices, games, and associated events. Assists/installs landscape items such as trees, shrubs and hardscapes when these are performed as in-house projects. Ensures proper fertilization of fields and recommends other associated lawn and turf products as needed/required. Responsible for tree maintenance program and directing contracted service providers. Monitor all University owned location property lines, and performs landscape inspections and develops prudent measures to maintain and improve them. Provide exterior pest management services through planned treatments such as detention ponds and responsible for site inspections for treatment.
- Maintains donor inventory, signage and banners for grounds. Ensures all inspections and ensures inventory is up to standard. Directs Grounds crew to complete repairs and replacements as necessary using University owned lift(s) and/or rented lifts. Supports the Director, Grounds and Capital Projects, in areas of education and experience such as plant selection, soil analysis, and participates in the department sustainability and waste processes. Extracts information the Google Calendar, and other departments for planning purposes.
- Directs the Grounds Crew on Inspections and repairs, and reports issues related to hardscape management. Responsible for communication related to risk management. Oversees parking lot maintenance as needed from minor repairs to line painting. Oversees signage and site amenities and confirms they are in good condition. Works with the Director, Grounds and Capital Projects, to update, repair, or replace site items such as retaining walls, fencing, and other associated items. Reports any/all issues with exterior lighting. Reports any open issues for maintenance to review and correct.
- Works efficiently to coordinate University services and departments. Responsibilities will include directing grounds employees Coordination of snow removal in all facets with focus on major walkway clearing with equipment and supervision over other operators and shovelers. May need to clean spills of various substances, including bodily fluids.
- Will be required to drive on behalf of the University. Evening and weekend hours are required as well as the ability to work flexible shifts, holidays and weekends. Vacations (PTO) approval may be limited during peak activity periods. This position will be required to work as scheduled during University closings to ensure campus needs are met.
- Responds to emergency calls including, but not limited to, equipment failures, utility interruptions, and weather related emergencies. Provides immediate notification to his/her supervisor of any major problem or emergencies in their area of responsibility.
- As requested by Director, Grounds and Capital Projects, assist when applicable with University related construction projects - prior, during, and after - emptying and loading space.
- Provide assistance to Director, Grounds and Capital Projects, with campus moves, (academic/office/housing), both internal and external as well as operational and capital/construction.
- Works with other Facilities Management personnel to supplement labor during staffing gaps.
- Operate all Grounds equipment with proficiency. Performs routine maintenance and minor repairs to Grounds equipment when applicable. Troubleshoots equipment deficiencies and reports to Director, Grounds and Capital Projects in a timely manner.
- Must maintain a functional awareness of typical hazards of the work place as well as special hazards that he/she or any fellow employees may encounter.
- Assign and delegate monthly exterior generator checks for fuel level reporting as well as animal/pest presence inspections.
- Assign and delegate work/duties to grounds workers, ensuring all work is completed as required to ensure safe playing surface, Division I level quality competition and practice both natural and artificial grass fields.
- Provide continual inspection of assigned areas to ensure maintenance is completed on schedule; responsible for submitting major repair needs to the Director, Grounds.
- Responsible for using the computerized maintenance management system to receive, prioritize work orders, delegate as well as executing the PM schedule.
- Position is "on call and required on site" and is a key member of winter operations. The Director of Grounds and Grounds and Athletic Field Supervisor oversee all staff available during inclement weather.
- Is the supervisor for the Grounds Department staff. Performs quarterly check-ins and reviews as required.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Associate's Degree or equivalent work experience is preferred.
- Horticultural/Agronomy background is preferred.
- Previous experience operating computer programs such as Microsoft applications and event scheduling software, as well as the knowledge to apply these programs to job performance.
- Previous experience in field maintenance and painting, ability to operate equipment including but not limited to tractors, skid loaders, and trucks.
- Previous supervisory experience is preferred.
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal skills are required.
- Ability to work flexible shifts, holidays and weekends.
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment with diverse groups ranging from summer camps, corporate executives, RMU athletics, political representatives, etc.
- Ability to prioritize and to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to receive work orders verbally or in writing.
- Ability to work without direct supervision.
- Excellent organizational, customer service and communication skills.
- A staff member is expected to abide by all of the rules and regulations of the University, the NCAA and the University associated conference(s). Staff members found in violation of NCAA regulations may be subject to disciplinary or corrective action as set forth in the provisions of the NCAA enforcement procedures.
- Valid driver’s license is required.
- PA Pesticide License Category 6 and 7 preferred.
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
Act 153 Clearance Required: No
Required To Pass a Motor Vehicle Report Check (If driving on behalf of the University): Yes
Required to Pass a Credit Check: No
Additional Posting Information: None
Special Applicant Instructions: None
Commitment to Diversity:
Robert Morris University is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, RMU complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please email email@example.com or call us at (412) 397-6270 if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.
Advertised: Eastern Standard Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend