Financial Aid Counselor
Job no: 495681
Location: Moon Campus
Position Department: Financial Aid
Position Type: Staff Full-Time
Will have extensive knowledge of federal, state and institutional student aid regulations and procedures and be able to communicate that information to students and parents.
- Manages the financial aid process for approximately one-fourth (1/4) of the student population which includes freshmen, transfer, continuing undergraduate, graduate, doctorate, online, off campus and certificate programs.
- Counsels students and parents on financial aid policies and procedures through personal appointments, walk-ins, phone calls and emailed messages. Adheres to and communicates federal, state and institutional policy information. Emphasis on strong customer service practices. Presents various payment and financing options. Recommends ways to reduce loan debt.
- Responsible for completing verification and monitoring of student files. Requests necessary documents required for file completion. Reviews household and income data through review of federal tax returns, W-2s, and other relevant income documentation, and reports corrections to Department of Education when necessary. Thorough understanding of federal tax code to ensure accuracy of review process. Rectify non valid FAFSAs, which may include review of citizenship documentation, loan borrowing history, previous enrollment, social security administration database mismatches, veteran status, selective service registration, drug convictions, marital status discrepancies, dependency status issues and other conflicting information. Recommends, collects and reviews all relevant documentation concerning dependency override and professional judgement scenarios.
- Promptly returns phone calls and emails to prospective and currents students and parents.
- Represents the University at on-campus and off-campus programs, including orientations, Life Skills, financial aid nights and college fairs. Staffs a financial aid booth and answers financial aid related questions. Face to face meetings discussing specific financial aid questions. Presentation of financial aid information in a group setting. Keeps current on regulatory updates by attending training sessions and workshops and by maintaining membership in PASFAA and NASFAA.
- All other duties as assigned. On occasion may need to work evening and/or weekend hours.
- Bachelor’s Degree is preferred or equivalent work experience.
- 2+ years of financial aid experience is preferred.
- Ability to work with and maintain confidential student and University information.
- Extensive knowledge of federal and state financial aid policies.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Strong commitment to customer service.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Act 153 Clearance Required: No
Required To Pass a Motor Vehicle Report Check: No
Required to Pass a Credit Check: Yes
Additional Posting Information: None
Special Applicant Instructions: None
Commitment to Diversity:
Robert Morris University is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, RMU complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend