Job no: 497689
Location: Moon Campus
Position Department: University Band
Position Type: Staff Full-Time
The director of bands will coordinate marching, pep, and jazz band programs for the University. The director will recruit students, schedule events and performances, coordinate an annual band camp, and provide/arrange for band/musical lessons as requested. The director will coordinate performances for athletic, university and community functions.
- Develop and lead a performance show-style marching band, pep band, and jazz band.
- Perform at all home football games, men’s & women’s basketball games, select men’s & women’s ice hockey games, other athletic competitions, and university sponsored events as deemed appropriate.
- Oversee a band camp each August.
- Provide weekly and pre-game rehearsals and music lessons during the academic year.
- Market the band programs and, in cooperation with the Admissions Office, recruit new students to the University. Represent the band program at recruitment and orientation events.
- Plan, develop, and coordinate performances at local and regional band festivals; develop and maintain partnerships with high school and other regional band programs.
- Oversee provisions for instruments, instrument assignments and repair; maintain inventory of instruments, music, and band equipment and materials; order apparel and supplies for band participants.
- Monitor academic progress and attendance/participation of all band members.
- Work with Student Financial Aid to allocate scholarship monies to marching, pep and jazz band participants each semester per the terms of the students’ performance agreements.
- Oversee the University’s student Fife and Drum performance ensemble.
- Support programs and initiative of the Division of Student Life and the University’s Strategic Plan.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required.
- Master’s degree preferred in music, music performance or a related field.
- Experience in recruiting and relevant work experience with high school and college-aged students.
- Thorough knowledge of instrumental music, arrangement, band presentation and music instruction.
- Ability to work evenings/weekends.
- Proven ability to produce show-style marching band, pep band and jazz band.
- Strong customer-service orientation.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
Act 153 Clearance Required: Yes
Required To Pass a Motor Vehicle Report Check (If driving on behalf of the University): Yes
Required to Pass a Credit Check: No
Additional Posting Information: None
Special Applicant Instructions: None
Commitment to Diversity:
Robert Morris University is committed to increasing diversity in our community and actively pursues individuals from all backgrounds. Additionally, RMU complies with all applicable federal, state and local laws and provides equal opportunity in all educational programs and activities, admission of students and conditions of employment for all qualified individuals regardless of race, color, sex, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice:
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at (412) 397-6270 if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job.
Advertised: Eastern Daylight Time
Back to search results Apply now Refer a friend